Friday, December 08, 2006

On the other hand...

It seems my accent identity comes down to how I pronounce "bag." Or possibly "vague." The last question asks if you pronounce "bag" to rhyme with "vague." I don't pronounce them the same: "bag" has a low front vowel like in "cat," while "vague" has a mid front vowel like in "bake." The quiz may be assuming that my pronunciation of "bag" is standard and is asking me to compare my pronunciation of "vague." I've heard people pronounce "vague" with the low front vowel, and it weirds me out. Actually, my friend Josh (from South Dakota) pronounced it that way. That would suggest to me that the western pronunciation is the one that uses the low front vowel for "vague." In which case, the question is scored wrong--North Centrallers have different pronunciations, while westerners have the same.

BUT--the quiz could be assuming that my pronunciation of "vague" is standard and asking me to compare "bag" to that. I have also heard people pronounce "bag" with the mid front vowel (as in "bake" and "bagel" [don't get me started on people who say "bagel" with the LOW front vowel as in "bat"!]), but I ain't one of them. So maybe North Centrallers are supposed to use the mid front vowel in "bag," and my use of the low front vowel makes me Western rather than North Central.

Upshot: the last question needs to be fixed.


What American accent do you have?
Your Result: North Central
 

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

The West
 
The Midland
 
Boston
 
The Inland North
 
Philadelphia
 
The South
 
The Northeast
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

9 Comments:

Blogger PopStar said...

the real question should be, how do yoU pronounce 'sheep' !

10:16 AM  
Blogger Pirate Jimmy said...

I got north central, hardcore.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Chaka said...

Pirate Jimmy, do you say the vowel in "bag" like the vowel in "bake" or like the one in "back"?

5:43 PM  
Blogger Pirate Jimmy said...

Sometimes I do both. I think I use the "bake" a more, so I went with that one.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Pirate Jimmy said...

I also use the "bake"-a in the word "vague."

5:19 PM  
Blogger Pirate Jimmy said...

I don't like the second to last question comparing "about" with "aloud." I think it's trying to ask if I say "about" or "aboooot." But I think "aloud" does not have the same "ou" as "about." There is "about" and "aboot" and "abowet." I find "aloud" sounds like "allowed" which is slightly, ever so slightly, different.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Pirate Jimmy said...

Let me put it this way. I think the "ou" in "about" is not pronounced like the ou in "you" but I also think it is not pronounced like in the word "noun." It is closer to "noun" than to "you" but still a slightly different.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Chaka said...

I think I hear what you're saying about the slight difference between "about" and "loud". Both of them are diphthongs, the first element a low vowel, the second element the high back rounded glide. But the starting low vowel of "loud" is a little more front than the one in "about".

I need to dig out the electrospectrogram.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how come no one hears what i'm saying about sheep ?!

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home