Thursday, May 04, 2006

A Perplexing Day

So my award, which really isn't that major, allowed me to meet the president of our university. I got to talk with him a little over coffee and later at lunch with other people who were being honored. I have to say that it was exciting, but also a little unsettling. Maybe even dangerous for the soul. When I arrived at my school last year, I was no one. I didn't know anything about the school, I had virtually no scholarships, hardly any background in what I was studying. I knew that there were "insiders" who had access to scholarship money and the advising of the "high-powered" professors, but I wasn't one of them. Now, all of a sudden, I seem to be an insider, and it kind of freaks me out. It could be a lot worse; my school is the kind of place where power is worn lightly. Our president is a great example of a man who leads with sincerety and humility. But when you're borrowing money for school (or fundraising for a school), it's hard not to think about how you can leverage connections and acheivements into money.

God deliver me from turning calling into money.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pirate Jimmy said...

I like how Ron Burgundy says it:
Ron:"I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal ... People know me ... I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home